Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?

From: Richard Plotkin <richard(at)richardplotkin(dot)com>
To: Richard Plotkin <richard(at)richardplotkin(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disk filling, CPU filling, renegade inserts and deletes?
Date: 2005-04-23 16:57:20
Lists: pgsql-performance
If anybody has additional advice on this problem, I would really,
really appreciate it...

I updated postgres to 8.0.2, am running vacuumdb -faz every 3 hours,
and 50 minutes after a vacuum the CPU usage still skyrocketed, and the
disk started filling.  This time, there is only a single file that is
spanning multiple GB, but running oid2name again returns no result on
the oid or filenode.

With the increased vacuuming, fixed temp tables, etc., I really am at a
loss for what's happening, and could really use some additional help.

Thank you,
Richard