'Range partitioning in PGSQL'

From: "Saseendra Babu" <saseendra(at)cdactvm(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 'Range partitioning in PGSQL'
Date: 2011-04-11 08:04:37
Lists: pgsql-novice
?'Range partitioning in PGSQL'

Hello
Is there as in oracle?
My problem is as follows.
I have telephone_ subscriber   table with tel no as Pkey
As the table has to contain millions of rows, I have to partition the table in to multiple partitions  based on range of tel no.
( At present we did it with inheritance.  but the problem found is: we have to insert  rows in to each child table by referring the table name exclusively ,
based on range of tel nos, keeping the parent table empty.)
What we require is as follows.
  1.. In the insert statement we shall specify only the table name ( not the partition name)
  2.. The rows are be populated in to the corresponding partions.
  3..  In select also we should only the table name ( not the partition name). rows are to be retrieved  from  corresponding partitions.
  4.. While using partition  by inheritance,  we have to specify the partition,  ie  child  table name.
Waiting for your valued suggestions
Saseendra Babu K

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Francisco LeoveyDate: 2011-04-11 11:55:00