Re: Install problems for postgresql-8.4.1

From: Don Fox <donfox1(at)mac(dot)com>
To: "Mark H(dot) Nichols" <info(at)markhnichols(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Install problems for postgresql-8.4.1
Date: 2009-11-02 15:18:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

I think the hitch is something on my machine( an old Intel Core Duo)
MacBook Pro. When I do a :

dscl . -list /Groups PrimaryGroupID | awk '{print $2 $1}' | sort -n

I get

-2nobody
-1nogroup
0wheel
UsersPostgreSQL <------------- Looks strange to me! Should it be
removed? THis is after previous installation is removed and I've
just done a new 'sudo make install'.
1daemon
2kmem
3sys
4tty
5operator

When I use the
sudo dseditgroup -o create -i 103 -r "PostgreSQL Users" postgres

I get

Create called on existing record - do you want to overwrite, y or n :

In this case 103 should be avaliable as it's not in either Users
Unique ID or in Groups Primary ID

No matter which avaliable number I choose I still get the same
response and any createdb attempt results in a bus error!

Don