Apple switched to BSDtar from GNUtar with Leopard

From: Don Fox <donfox1(at)mac(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Apple switched to BSDtar from GNUtar with Leopard
Date: 2009-10-31 21:44:20
Lists: pgsql-novice
A little research shows that Apple modified tGNUtar o be resource fork
aware and, I guess, did the same with BSDtar! Maybe this points to the
problem. Certainly there is nothing wrong with the tar files on the
site!

curl http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.4.1/
postgresql-8.4.1.tar.gz -O
   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
Time  Current
                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
Left  Speed
119   239  119   239    0     0    716      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
--:--:--  1448

gnutar -zvxf postgresql-8.4.1.tar.gz
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
gnutar: Child returned status 1
gnutar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

bsdtar -zvxf postgresql-8.4.1.tar.gz
bsdtar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

I'm not sure what to do if I need a fresh copy of the src. ?
Fortunatly I did get an tar file from SourceForge, about a week ago,
that seems to behave normally.

Don

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Hassan SchroederDate: 2009-10-31 22:06:34
Previous:From: Don FoxDate: 2009-10-31 21:13:35
Subject: Re: Difficulty installing postgresql on Max OSX Leopard.