backup file system

From: "Leong, Fushan" <fushan(dot)leong(at)SonoSite(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: backup file system
Date: 2001-10-30 23:27:17
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi :

I am very new in postgres and hope someone can give me some suggestions

I am working on a shell script to backup my postgres database.  Compared
with pg_dump and pg_dumpall, I would
like to backup the file system instead of dump the database  because I can
shutdown the database server in
midnight for a few hours.  I also can sure I will have a stable backup. ( No
user is doing anything at the same time )

I search internet but did not find anyone mention this method.  Did I miss
anything?  I plan to backup all
files under data directory.  Is that enough?

thanks
Fushan
DBA

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Laurette CisnerosDate: 2001-10-30 23:30:56