Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema
Date: 2009-08-15 10:16:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Le 10 août 09 à 17:19, Andrew Dunstan a écrit :
> One fairly simple way would use a new SQL verb (say, DO) like this:
>
> DO $$ something in plfoo$ $ LANGUAGE plfoo;
>
> We could even default the langauge to plpgsql, for which you would
> then just need:
>
> DO $$ something in plpgsql $$;

That would also be a nice feature to rely on in extensions install.sql
files when you have major version dependant code. Defining a function,
calling it then removing it is what to do now. This new syntax would
greatly simplify the support code.

DO $$
IF postgresql_major_version = '8.2'
THEN

ELSE

END IF;
$$;

(of course in this snippet example the ELSE covers it because the
CREATE EXTENSION stuff declared e.g. dependancy on postgresql >= 8.2).

Regards,
--
dim