Building PostgreSQL from Source using MinGW

From: "Lee, Patricia S(dot)" <Patricia(dot)Lee(at)unisys(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Building PostgreSQL from Source using MinGW
Date: 2005-09-07 16:27:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm trying to build postgreSQL 8.0.3 from source using MinGW (the
suggested emulator), and I don't see any step-by-step instructions on
how to do this. I've seen the INSTALL and FAQ_MINGW docs, but it still
doesn't make sense to me. After I'm finished and get this to compile, I
would love to create such a document if one does not already exist.

First, I installed MinGW.

1. Install MinGW

a. Go to URL: http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
b. Download: MinGW-4.1.1.exe
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-4.1.1.exe?download>

i.
Install full set of packages

c. Download: MSYS-1.0.10.exe
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MSYS-1.0.10.exe?download>

i.
Answer y/n questions (installed MinGW on "c:/mingw". Make sure this is
entered because you will not be able to mount the directory otherwise.)

Then, I did a configure using the following...

(I received the following errors when I then tried to do a make. Any
suggestions would be welcome.)

LEEP ~/sources/PostgreSQL/postgresql-8.0.3

$ configure --prefix=/c/PostgreSQL/8.0.3

checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32

checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32

checking which template to use... win32

checking whether to build with 64-bit integer date/time support... no

checking whether NLS is wanted... no

checking for default port number... 5432

checking for gcc... gcc

checking for C compiler default output... a.exe

checking for suffix of executables... .exe

checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

checking if gcc supports -Wdeclaration-after-statement... yes

checking if gcc supports -Wold-style-definition... yes

checking if gcc supports -Wendif-labels... yes

checking if gcc supports -fno-strict-aliasing... yes

configure: using CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wold-style-definition -Wendif-labels
-fno-strict-aliasing

checking whether the C compiler still works... yes

checking allow thread-safe client libraries... no

checking whether to build with Tcl... no

checking whether to build Perl modules... no

checking whether to build Python modules... no

checking whether to build with Kerberos 4 support... no

checking whether to build with Kerberos 5 support... no

checking whether to build with PAM support... no

checking whether to build with Rendezvous support... no

checking whether to build with OpenSSL support... no

configure: WARNING: *** Readline does not work on MinGW --- disabling

configure: using CPPFLAGS= -I./src/include/port/win32 -DEXEC_BACKEND

configure: using LDFLAGS=-Wl,--allow-multiple-definition

checking for gawk... gawk

checking for flex... no

configure: WARNING:

*** Without Flex you will not be able to build PostgreSQL from CVS or

*** change any of the scanner definition files. You can obtain Flex
from

*** a GNU mirror site. (If you are using the official distribution of

*** PostgreSQL then you do not need to worry about this because the Flex

*** output is pre-generated.)

checking whether ln -s works... yes

checking for ld used by GCC... c:/mingw/mingw32/bin/ld.exe

checking if the linker (c:/mingw/mingw32/bin/ld.exe) is GNU ld... yes

checking for ranlib... ranlib

checking for lorder... no

checking for tar... /bin/tar

checking for strip... strip

checking whether it is possible to strip libraries... yes

checking for bison... no

configure: WARNING:

*** Without Bison you will not be able to build PostgreSQL from CVS or

*** change any of the parser definition files. You can obtain Bison
from

*** a GNU mirror site. (If you are using the official distribution of

*** PostgreSQL then you do not need to worry about this because the
Bison

*** output is pre-generated.) To use a different yacc program
(possible,

*** but not recommended), set the environment variable YACC before
running

*** 'configure'.

checking for perl... no

checking for main in -lbsd... no

checking for setproctitle in -lutil... no

checking for main in -lm... yes

checking for main in -ldl... no

checking for main in -lnsl... no

checking for main in -lsocket... no

checking for main in -lipc... no

checking for main in -lIPC... no

checking for main in -llc... no

checking for main in -ldld... no

checking for main in -lld... no

checking for main in -lcompat... no

checking for main in -lBSD... no

checking for main in -lgen... no

checking for main in -lPW... no

checking for main in -lresolv... no

checking for library containing getopt_long... none required

checking for main in -lunix... no

checking for library containing crypt... no

checking for library containing fdatasync... no

checking for shmget in -lcygipc... no

checking for main in -lwsock32... yes

checking for inflate in -lz... no

configure: error: zlib library not found

If you have zlib already installed, see config.log for details on the

failure. It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper
directory.

Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.

LEEP ~/sources/PostgreSQL/postgresql-8.0.3

$ make

You need to run the 'configure' program first. See the file

'INSTALL' for installation instructions.

make: *** [all] Error 1

LEEP ~/sources/PostgreSQL/postgresql-8.0.3

$ gmake

sh: gmake: command not found