Melbourne, Australia job: Postgres Database Admin

From: Andrew Stuart <andrew(dot)stuart(at)flatraterecruitment(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Melbourne, Australia job: Postgres Database Admin
Date: 2009-07-06 04:46:34
Lists: pgsql-jobs
Postgres Database Admin

• Large scale Postgres database cluster
• Great company, highly successful
• Exciting Internet software, expanding systems

Postgres - we're looking for a Postgres Database Admin. The right
person for the job loves databases.

This highly successful Internet company employs over 160 people, is
highly technology oriented and provides an Internet based information
service to over 1200 customers in six markets around the world.

The core product of this company is an information service analysing
huge quantities of data. Gathering, processing and storing data is a
core activity of the company. Handling enormous volumes of data
efficiently is one of the companies key challenges.

Ideally we’re looking for someone with significant understanding of
Postgres. We would also be happy to consider a Linux Systems
Administrator who wishes to specialize in database administration. We
would also consider a MySQL expert.

A new role has been created for a Database Administrator to join the
team, reporting to the Team Leader - Database & Storage.

The database is at the heart of this company and are mission critical
- they store enormous quantities of Internet usage data. There are
over 30 production and development databases in use, distributed
around the world, with more expected to come on line.

The role includes the following responsibilities:

	• Ensuring the uptime of the production databases
	• Working closely with a team of 50 developers, testers and systems
administrators
	• Ensuring optimum database performance
	• Building new database servers and systems
	• Tuning databases
	• Implementing database replication
	• Executing database backups
	• Managing database security
	• Managing database users and access control
	• Advising developers on database related issues
	• Extremely strong SQL
	• Scripting – any of shell, Perl or Python
	• Linux or Unix knowledge
	• Monitoring of operational systems

We're looking for someone who:

	• Loves their work and is passionate about technology and databases
	• Is highly responsive and customer focused with a "mission-critical"
uptime attitude
	• Is a tenacious problem solver
	• Gets along well with the other people on the team
	• Has initiative, is responsible and reliable
	• Clear communication skills

If you are passionate about database technology and want to work at an
exciting, technology focused company in a team of highly technical
people, then this may be the role for you.

This is a salaried role.
People currently living in Australia preferred for this role but you
are welcome to apply if you are outside Australia - we'll have a look.

Apply now!

To apply, send your resume to info(at)flatraterecruitment(dot)com(dot)au and
include "postgres" in the subject line