Re: postgres: 100% CPU utilization

From: "Sergey Tsukinovsky" <Sergey(dot)Tsukinovsky(at)cryptologic(dot)com>
To: "Ron" <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>, "Mario Weilguni" <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres: 100% CPU utilization
Date: 2007-04-24 15:30:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thanks for this reply, Ron.
This is almost what I was looking for.

While the upgrade to the latest version is out of the question (which
unfortunately for me became the subject of this discussion) still, I was
looking for the ways to improve the performance of the 7.0.2 version.

Extensive use of vacuum was almost obvious, though I was hoping to get
some more tips from postrges gurus (or dinosaurs, if you want).

Anyways, the 8.2.4 was not performing so well without auto-vacuum. It
ramped up to 50% of CPU usage in 2 hours under the load.
With the auto-vacuum ON I've got what I really need and thus I know what
to do next.

Just for the record - the hardware that was used for the test has the
following parameters:
AMD Opteron 2GHZ
2GB RAM
LSI Logic SCSI