Re: Problems With New Installation

From: Ronald Chmara <ronabop(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems With New Installation
Date: 2009-01-25 02:46:27
Lists: pdxpug
On Jan 24, 2009, at 5:02 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I installed 8.3.5 on my notebook so that I can run a business
> application.
> I used the Slackware package approach and everything seems to be in
> place,
> but there is no /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 or associated lock file.
>
>   Starting the server produces a message that the PostgreSQL daemon is
> already running. Stopping the server produces the message that
> there's no
> directory so it's logging in with HOME=/, and there's an invalid
> postmaster.pid.
>
>   Restarting postgres does not create the /tmp socket and lock. The
> user
> 'postgres' exists and has the home directory of /home/postgres. My
> Google
> searches and reading through the Douglas^2 book gives me no clues.

IIRC, the postgres init scripts used to not only set up sockets, but
also had some checks on prior PID and lock files, in case there was a
crashed startup that needed recovery...

Have you tried looking through your init/startup scripts at the
specific checks, and/or removed old/invalid pid and lock files?

-Bop