Re: Hacker News

From: Quinn Weaver <quinn(at)fairpath(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacker News
Date: 2008-12-30 04:42:41
Lists: sfpug

On Dec 29, 2008, at 8:32 PM, Jon Asher wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
> wrote:

[...]

> It only cites planned support for millions of users- not sure about
> concurrent db hits..
>

> > It wouldn't be surprising to see Postgres win mindshare over all
> > other db's on the cloud.
>
> If it wins them there, that's a fine place to start :)
>
> Since your average Ruby coder chooses mySQL by default, this is
> interesting. If a the first major cloud-based sites are built on
> Postgres, that will create a lot of momentum. ( Google App Engine
> only supports their Big Table stuff, so let's ignore them ;) )

Heroku too is PostgreSQL-only. It's a git/RoR cloud hosting site,
pretty famous in the community despite still being in beta.

In theory, RoR coders shouldn't care which database they're using, if
they're sticking to the ORM abstraction of ActiveRecord. So they
should be happy with cloud services based on PostgreSQL. In practice,
I do see complaints from people who wish Heroku supported MySQL. :/

__
Quinn Weaver
Full-stack web consultant
http://fairpath.com/