RE: [GENERAL] Please help with performance tuning on Postgres

From: Greg Youngblood <YoungblG(at)houstoncellular(dot)com>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] Please help with performance tuning on Postgres
Date: 1998-10-05 12:15:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes, you assume correctly. I have read the FAQ. The only problem is the
FAQ's answer is nice, short, and sweet, but does not have any good real
world examples or real details.. The only details it mentions is that
setting shared memory buffers too high can cause it to crash, and so forth.
What is too high? Is there a formula or rule of thumb that you can use?
Possibly based on amount of available memory or memory your willing to
'dedicate' to the process, the number of back end processes, etc?

What I am looking for is some help from people who have tuned their
databases and can offer some insight. For example, the same performance
gains may be possible with multiple parameter settings, however, one group
of settings may be less 'expensive' than another. Or, you may be able to get
almost the same performance gain from a less expensive change than you do
with changes that consume a lot more resources.

That kind of information is obtained from people who have gone through this
process already, and have either learned the hard way, or picked up tricks
from others. If these people can share their experience, then others such as
myself can avoid reinventing the wheel. That is what I am searching for.

Thanks for the directions to the FAQ. It is also in the 'doc' directory of
the pgsql distribution.

Greg

Gregory S. Youngblood
ext 2164