Re: plpgsql on 8.0b4 bug?

From: James Robinson <jlrobins(at)socialserve(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpgsql on 8.0b4 bug?
Date: 2004-11-18 17:20:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Between ugly #1 and ugly #2, I'd think that a wart teaching it that
'ELSEIF' is not a valid manner to start a statement (i.e. following a
semicolon) would be preferable. Allowing us hacks to write functions
containing both spellings makes the language look poor since it ought
to slap us into formal shape. This isn't [insert a lossy SQL
implementation or slop-inspiring scripting language here]. We're
typesafe and syntax checking!

On Nov 18, 2004, at 12:09 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> It occurs to me that one simple thing we could do is make plpgsql
> accept
> both ELSIF and ELSEIF as legal spellings of the keyword. This seems a
> bit ugly but I can't think of any really good objections.

----
James Robinson
Socialserve.com