Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)FreeBSD(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Francois Tigeot <ftigeot(at)wolfpond(dot)org>
Subject: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD
Date: 2014-04-20 09:24:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

I see performance degradation with PostgreSQL 9.3 vs 9.2 on FreeBSD, and I'm wondering who to poke to mitigate the problem. In reference to this thread [1], who where the FreeBSD people that Francois mentioned? If mmap needs to perform well in the kernel, I'd like to know of someone with FreeBSD kernel knowledge who is interested in working with mmap perfocmance. If mmap is indeed the cuplrit, I've just tested 9.2.8 vs 9.3.4, I nevere isolated the mmap patch, although I believe Francois did just that with similar results.

Enclosed is a report from a simple pgbench check.

Palle

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130126120024.GA21101@sekishi.zefyris.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
FreeBSD PostgreSQL mmap performance.pdf application/pdf 202.6 KB
unknown_filename text/plain 1 byte