Re: create function and trigger to update column on table update

From: "Dara Olson" <dolson(at)glifwc(dot)org>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create function and trigger to update column on table update
Date: 2010-12-16 16:58:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thank you so very much for the help! It worked perfectly.
Below is what I ended up with...

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION invasive_species.update_catalog_number() RETURNS TRIGGER AS
'BEGIN
NEW.catalog_number := NEW.tsn_char || x(centroid(transform(NEW.the_geom, 4326))) || y(centroid(transform(NEW.the_geom, 4326)));
RETURN NEW;
END;'
LANGUAGE plpgsql;
CREATE TRIGGER catalog_num_trigger BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON invasive_species.invspp_occurrence_data
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE invasive_species.update_catalog_number();