Re: BUG #1473: Backend bus error, possibly due to ANALYZE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Brian B(dot)" <brian-pgsql(at)bbdab(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1473: Backend bus error, possibly due to ANALYZE
Date: 2005-02-10 22:24:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Brian B." <brian-pgsql(at)bbdab(dot)org> writes:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:08:14AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> There is a check_stack_depth call in there, so this could only be the
>> explanation if max_stack_depth is set too high for the actual
>> stack depth limit.  What's the platform, and what ulimit values is the
>> postmaster started under?

> FreeBSD 4.11 on x86 using PostgreSQL 8.0.1

> % limits
> Resource limits (current):
>   stacksize           65536 kb

Hmm, 64meg should certainly be far past where check_stack_depth will
start to complain, so there's something else going on here.  (BUT:
the ulimits you see interactively aren't necessarily what the postmaster
was started under.  You might want to confirm that the results are the
same if you put the limits call into the boot script that launches
the postmaster...)

> the backend will want to crash around that point. I will try
> to narrow down what query is being ran at that point. Perhaps
> I can extract it from the core dump.

See debug_query_string.