Re: PostgreSQL crash on Freebsd 7

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael <michael(at)gameservice(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL crash on Freebsd 7
Date: 2007-10-26 01:11:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Michael <michael(at)gameservice(dot)ru> writes:
> 2007-10-25 23:37:12 MSD (u=picred,db=picred)PANIC:  stuck spinlock (0x4880c3b0) detected at lwlock.c:379

You said this was an Opteron?  Why is it printing only 32-bit addresses?

> TL> Did you recompile Postgres?  Maybe you need to.  I dunno what the
> TL> differences are between 6.2 and 7 ...
> Yes.

I'm thinking the rebuild broke somehow ... on the strength of
the above, maybe it's partially 32 and partially 64 bits.  This could
have been pilot error on your part, or maybe FBSD7 wants some
new/different compile or link switches that our configuration code
doesn't know about.

Did you rebuild in a pre-existing PG build tree?  If so, that might
have resulted in a partial rebuild that could create such a problem.
I'd suggest "make distclean", reconfigure, rebuild before you waste
any further human effort on the problem...

A slightly different thought is that you're likely using a beta gcc
release that has maybe got bugs.  If decreasing the -O level helps,
I'd suspect that.