Re: hint infrastructure setup (v3)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hint infrastructure setup (v3)
Date: 2004-04-01 16:29:38
Lists: pgsql-patches
Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> I can resubmit a new patch that would provide the needed infrastructure
> AND some hints on some commands as a proof of concept of what can be
> achieved.

I quite agree that you shouldn't do a complete implementation when it's
not clear if we'll accept it or not.  What I'd like to see is a demo,
basically.  How about one example of each of several different kinds
of hints?  We need to get a feeling for what can be accomplished and how
messy the grammar would get.

BTW, it seems like you are putting in a lot of infrastructure to
recreate externally the parse-stack state that bison has internally.
Maybe an interesting alternative would be to look at touching that
state directly.  I realize that bison doesn't consider that part of
their official API, but bison is a stable tool and seems unlikely to
change much in the future.  We could probably get away with it...