Re: Postmaster will not start

From: "beakerboy(at)www(dot)com" <beakerboy(at)www(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postmaster will not start
Date: 2002-11-08 14:37:00
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Now we're getting somewhere,  /tmp has drwxrwxrwx privs and I can create
files and directories, but I can not use chmod or chown:
Administrator(at)CDMKNOWACZYT30 /tmp
$ chmod 777 XWin.log
chmod: changing permissions of `XWin.log': Invalid argument

so I have no clue how I can be logged in as Administrator and not be able
to change access privs :-/
Keivn

S. L. said:
> "beakerboy(at)www(dot)com" <beakerboy(at)www(dot)com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:
>>PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
>>PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
>>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql
>>export LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH PGDA
>>
>>so this contains all the necessary information.  Any other thoughts
>>anybody?
> [...]
>
> About the env vars, a little cygwin hint: LD_LIBRARY_PATH is useless.
> Use PATH instead (and the value should be "/usr/local/pgsql/lib", not
> "/usr/local/pgsql" as in your output - excepting the case you
> instructed the configure script to install dlls in /usr/local/pgsql).
>
> About the "/tmp" issue, try a chown and a chmod on a file in /tmp and
> see if that works. If it does, then you should check
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-07/msg00043.php . The
> first "4." item there states some relevant information.
>
> SLao
>
>I've recently encountered a problem when starting up the postmaster.
>I've checked the list archives and the web via google and have not
>encountered a solution.  I'm running cygwin on a IBM thinkpad running
>windows 2000. PostgreSQL was running fine a couple weeks ago and all I've
>changed (That I can think of) is the additional installation of cgoban.
>Here's the error:
Administrator(at)CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ ipc-daemon &
[1] 1280

Administrator(at)CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ source /.bashrc

Administrator(at)CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ postmaster -i &
[2] 1400

Administrator(at)CDMKNOWACZYT30 ~
$ FATAL:  could not set permissions on /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432: Invalid
argument postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port
[2]+  Exit 1                  postmaster -i

I've checked the permissions on the /tmp directory and all seems fine.
Any ideas?
Kevin Nowaczyk

WWW.COM - Where The Web Begins! http://www.www.com/