Re: Per-database and per-user GUC settings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Per-database and per-user GUC settings
Date: 2002-01-29 01:01:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The basic functionality is done, although two issues sort of need a show
> of hands. First, the order in which these settings are processed: I
> figured user should be last.

Meaning the user setting wins if there's a conflict? Fine.

> I've also got these settings for each group,
> but this would mean that if a user is a member of more than one group he
> gets a rather random processing order.

That bothers me; seems like it'll bite someone sooner or later. And I
don't see a compelling reason to have per-group settings if we have the
other two.

One issue you didn't mention is what security level these options are
assumed to have by GUC. That plays into what permissions are needed to
issue the SET/ALTER commands.