Re: An idea for parallelizing COPY within one backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>, Postgresql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: An idea for parallelizing COPY within one backend
Date: 2008-02-27 17:11:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
> Plus, I'd see this as a kind of testbed for gently introducing
> parallelism into postgres backends (especially thinking about sorting
> here).

This thinking is exactly what makes me scream loudly and run in the
other direction.  I don't want threads introduced into the backend,
whether "gently" or otherwise.  The portability and reliability hits
that we'll take are too daunting.  Threads that invoke user-defined
code (as anything involved with datatype-specific operations must)
are especially fearsome, as there is precisely 0 chance of that code
being thread-safe.