Re: Wisconsin Benchmark

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: f2160528(at)est(dot)fib(dot)upc(dot)es
Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wisconsin Benchmark
Date: 2002-02-26 15:39:33
Lists: pgsql-general
f2160528(at)est(dot)fib(dot)upc(dot)es writes:
> Has anyone tried using the Wisconsin PostgreSQL
> benchmark??
> Is it good,reliable,accepted as a good
> benchmark???

If you're speaking of src/test/bench/, it's a pretty old and crufty
implementation.  (For one thing, it runs the benchmark in a standalone
backend, not in the normal multiuser environment, which already counts
as cooking the results IMHO.  Someone ought to clean it up.)

If you're speaking of the Wisconsin benchmark in the abstract, I think
it's not used very much anymore; people seem to put more faith in the
various TPC benchmark designs.