Re: BUG #4808: Rules on system catalogs are allowed but not executed.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Ian Turner <ian(dot)turner(at)deshaw(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4808: Rules on system catalogs are allowed but not executed.
Date: 2009-05-13 15:31:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> They're not honored by internal catalog updates, no.

> Shouldn't their creation be prevented in the first place, like triggers?

Well, maybe --- normally I'd say that superusers shouldn't need training
wheels, but making it consistent with triggers is a legitimate argument.

Comparing the code, I notice that DefineRule isn't being very picky
about the relkind either; it looks like it'd let you create rules on
sequences or toast tables, neither of which seems tremendously sensible.
CreateTrigger explicitly restricts to plain tables, and what would make
sense if we are trying to make the behavior comparable is to restrict
rules to tables or views.