Re: COPY access rights

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY access rights
Date: 2002-05-14 18:39:19
Lists: pgsql-docs
Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to> writes:
> The 7.2.1 documentation says that either insert or update access is needed
> to use COPY FROM. However under GRANT the INSERT description says it
> gives access to COPY FROM, but the UPDATE description doesn't.

The code wants INSERT and nothing but, which seems correct to me since
COPY FROM is effectively a series of INSERTs.  IIRC it used to accept
UPDATE too; I suspect someone missed this statement in the documentation
when we changed it.

I see the erroneous statement on the COPY reference page; did you notice
it anywhere else?

Now that I look, the GRANT page is confused too: COPY FROM is FROM a
file, not FROM a table.  Will fix.