A thought: should we run pgindent now?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: A thought: should we run pgindent now?
Date: 2010-02-18 04:34:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In connection with the recent discussion of changing SearchSysCache call
format, Robert espoused the view that right now is the time when there
are a minimal number of outstanding patches that would suffer merge
problems from an invasive change. That seems correct to me --- although
ideally everyone should be thinking "beta test" for the next few months,
we all know there will be some development going on in people's private
trees.

Which leads me to the thought that rather than postponing running
pgindent until late beta, maybe we should run it *now*, and get the
bulk of its work done for the new code in 9.0. Then people would have
a solid base to patch against, rather than having to expect a major
merge hassle at the end of beta.

We'd probably still want to run pgindent again at the traditional
point in the cycle, but if we did one now then the final run would
only be fixing sloppiness in beta-period fixes, and it should make
relatively few changes.

I have a personal interest in this because I'm hoping to spend time
over the next few weeks reading all of the HS/SR code in detail, and
it will be nicer to look at if it's formatted to project standards;
which quite a lot of it is not at the moment.

Comments?

regards, tom lane

(BTW, by "now" I don't mean *today* --- seems better to wait till
alpha4 has been wrapped. But as soon as that's done.)