Re: Postgres bug (working with iserverd)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Vadim Mikheev" <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com>
Cc: "Alexandr" <AVShutko(at)mail(dot)khstu(dot)ru>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres bug (working with iserverd)
Date: 2001-05-15 05:17:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

"Vadim Mikheev" <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com> writes:
>> However, EvalPlanQual still leaks more memory than suits me ---
>> auxiliary memory allocated by the plan nodes is not recovered.

> Isn't plan shutdown supposed to free memory?

Yeah, but it leaks all over the place; none of the plan node types
bother to free their state nodes, for example. There are lots of other
cases. You really have to reset the per-query context to get rid of all
the cruft allocated during ExecInitNode.

> How subselects run queries again and again?

They don't end and restart them; they just rescan them. If we had
this substitute-a-new-tuple hack integrated into the Param mechanism,
then EvalPlanQual could use ExecReScan too, but at the moment no...