Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date: 2002-01-31 03:51:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Just a confirmation.
> We can't see any catalog.schema.object notation in 7.3,
> can we ?

No, what I meant was you could write catalog.schema.object --- but for
7.3, the system will only accept it if the catalog name is the same as
the current database. This satisfies the minimum requirements of the
spec, and it leaves notational room to use the catalog name as the cue
for cross-database access, if we ever decide we want to try to do that.