Re: is there more documentation?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: chrisj <chrisj(dot)wood(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is there more documentation?
Date: 2007-02-06 05:21:37
Lists: pgsql-novice
chrisj <chrisj(dot)wood(at)sympatico(dot)ca> writes:
> However I am now looking for more information on interrogating the catalog
> and information_schema.  I have about 30 tables and 25 stored procedures
> (many of my SPs call other SPs), several types and sequences, and still
> growing.  I would like to determine the dependencies between all these
> objects but the information_schema does not seem to provide this
> information.

AFAIK the information_schema doesn't do that.  You can get such info
from pg_depend, but there isn't any SQL standard for it.

> From doing some searches it seems like there may be a whole other world of
> Postgres documentation I have not stumbled upon.

Not really, other than the source code and perhaps the techdocs website.
But feel free to ask questions.  In this case I'd suggest looking at the
System Catalogs chapter of the manual.  Experimentation helps too.