Re: contrib features during beta period

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib features during beta period
Date: 2002-08-30 13:29:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> On Friday 30 August 2002 12:49 am, Tom Lane wrote:
>> What improvements are we talking about here? FTI is sufficiently widely
>> depended on that I think it ought to follow the same quality standard
>> as the main backend ... viz, "no new features during beta".

> Does this mean we should be looking for a way to integrate it into the main
> backend at this point? Isn't that what contrib is for?

Well, given that Chris also thinks that people should migrate to
tsearch, I'd guess that fulltextindex would not be the one to integrate.
But yeah, in the long run I'd like to see one of these packages become
mainstream, just because full-text search is such a widely used feature.

The more global point here is that during beta we need everyone to be
doing testing, bug fixing, and documentation, not new features ---
even if they're in contrib. Goodness knows there's not very much
organization to the Postgres project, but let's try to respect what
little process we do have...