Re: BUG #6732: Build issue when using gettext on FreeBSD 9

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6732: Build issue when using gettext on FreeBSD 9
Date: 2012-07-12 17:25:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs
chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net writes:
> PostgreSQL 9.1 does not build on FreeBSD 9 if --enable-nls and a Heimdal
> Kerberos build from ports is used. The build fails due to undefined
> references to functions from gettext's libintl.

Ugh.

> Proposed workaround: Do not use --as-needed at all.

Not really acceptable ...

> Proposed fix: Use --as-needed during configure as well, or make its use
> predicated on a working linker version (GNU ld 2.22 or later).

... and I'm not sure I like either of those either.  The first seems
likely to introduce as many problems as it fixes, and I don't see a
reasonable way for the script to test whether --as-needed "works"
(for a value of "works" that's rather unclear anyway).

> ... configure therefore fails to detect libintl as required; the check
> program links correctly because libintl is pulled in as an indirect
> dependency via libgssapi.

Could we make the problem go away for you if we changed the order in
which these libraries are probed for?  That's a hack, surely, but it
seems like one much less likely to break other working cases than any
of the alternatives you suggest.