Re: Backend-internal SPI operations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mark Hollomon" <mhh(at)nortelnetworks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backend-internal SPI operations
Date: 2000-08-29 16:49:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Mark Hollomon" <mhh(at)nortelnetworks(dot)com> writes:
> Just out of curiousity, is there technical reason there isn't
> a (say) relisview attribute to pg_class?

That might indeed be the most reasonable way to attack it, rather
than having to go messing about looking for a matching rule.
(Jan, any thoughts here?)

Adding a column to a core system table like pg_class is a good
exercise for the student ;-) ... it's not exactly automated,
and you have to find all the places that need to be updated.
You might want to keep notes and prepare a writeup for the
developer's FAQ. I thought of that the last time I did something
similar, but it was only at the end that I realized I should've
been keeping notes to start with.