Re: Problems updating to 8.3.5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems updating to 8.3.5
Date: 2008-11-28 19:35:17
Lists: pgsql-novice
Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com> writes:
> I have a Slackware 10.2.0 machine which has been happily serving files,
> Apache, Pg, etc. across my home network for some time. I had no problem
> installing pg 8.2.1 on it. But now when I try to install 8.3.5,
> configure dies complaining that gcc can't build an executable. Looking
> at the log, it says crt1.o does not exist. I looked, and sure enough, it
> doesn't exist.

Well, you changed something else on that machine since installing 8.2.1
... assuming you built 8.2.1 from source there; are you sure you didn't
install a prepackaged build?  This error says you've got a fundamentally
broken or incomplete C compilation environment, and that's not exactly
postgres' fault.

I don't know how Slackware divvies up this stuff, but you might need to
install packages labeled "C development tools" or some such if you want
to build PG from source.