Re: PQsetdbLogin() and PQconnectdb() fail on HPUX11i 64 bits with empty servername

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jan van der Weijde" <Jan(dot)van(dot)der(dot)Weijde(at)attachmate(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PQsetdbLogin() and PQconnectdb() fail on HPUX11i 64 bits with empty servername
Date: 2006-10-23 22:43:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Jan van der Weijde" <Jan(dot)van(dot)der(dot)Weijde(at)attachmate(dot)com> writes:
> I'm using PQsetdbLogin() or PQconnectdb() to connect to a local server
> on an 64bits HP system with O/S HPUX11i. The PostgreSQL version is 8.1.4
> According to the documentation I can leave out the host specification:
> However when I do that, the client givers error message:
> could not connect to server:
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

I tried to reproduce this on HP's testdrive machines, without success:
it seems to work fine. "64bits HP system with O/S HPUX11i" is pretty
darn vague, considering that HP supports this OS on two different
architectures and there are multiple subversions of it, but on the whole
I'd bet on a compiler problem. Is your compiler fully up-to-date with
HP's patches?