Re: BUG #5131: The pgsql will lost

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "aihongwei" <ufo008ahw(at)163(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5131: The pgsql will lost
Date: 2009-10-22 14:06:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"aihongwei" <ufo008ahw(at)163(dot)com> writes:
> In x86_64 platform,
> I input command "ulimit -s 2048" to limit the stack size.Then I startup the
> server,and when i do some recursion operation, the pgsql will lost in some
> time.
> It seems that The stack_max_depth does work.

If you read the description of that setting, you will notice that it
recommends leaving a safety margin of at least one megabyte between the
kernel ulimit setting and the max_stack_depth value.  You have left a
safety margin of zero.  A crash is unsurprising.

More recent versions of Postgres are able to check whether
max_stack_depth has a safe value relative to ulimit -s, but 8.0 just
believes whatever you tell it.

BTW, are you *really* using 8.0.0?  If so please update.  The current
bugfix release in that series is 8.0.22.