Re: strange problem with ip6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange problem with ip6
Date: 2007-05-17 16:01:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> writes:
> On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:32:21PM -0600, Brian Hirt wrote:
>> I have postgresql installed on a mac, and I'm connecting from another
>> mac on the network using ip6. When I try to select out of
>> pg_stat_activity i get this error. I suspect the %en0 has something
>> to do with the problem, but I'm no IP6 expert.

> That would indeed be a problem. "%" is not a valid character in an
> IPv6 text representation of the address (see RFC 4291,
> <http://www.rfc-editor.org/cgi-bin/rfcdoctype.pl?loc=RFC&letsgo=4291&type=ftp&file_format=txt>).
> Whether this is a bug for postgres seems to depend on whether that
> reading is coming from the OS or postgres itself.

I enabled IPv6 on my laptop (maybe I did it wrong, dunno) and noted that
%en1 and %lo0 and similar notations were appended to some but not all of
the IPv6 addresses output by "netstat -r -n". Furthermore it seemed
that adding or not adding these notations to IPv6 addresses given to
psql's -h switch affected whether I could connect or not. I didn't see
a case where the %-thingy showed up in getnameinfo() output within
Postgres, as is apparently happening for Brian; but it sure looked like
it was happening to netstat. So Apple is doing something mighty
nonstandard here :-(. I ran out of time/interest to probe deeper.