Re: [HACKERS] backend closed the channel unexpectedly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Wetzel <dave(at)turbocat(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, gerald(at)lucky(dot)turbocat(dot)de
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] backend closed the channel unexpectedly
Date: 1999-05-12 23:15:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

David Wetzel <dave(at)turbocat(dot)de> writes:
> I have found a bug that is very easy to reprouduce here:

> [ backend crash after many attempts to insert same data into a
> uniquely-indexed table ]

This may be the same bug that was discussed earlier today on the hackers
list: the backend fails to release temporary memory after an error, so
if you make it generate enough error messages during one session you can
eventually run out of memory. Watch the process with 'top' or some such
to see if it gets up to your system's limit on process size just before
failing.

I'm hoping to look into the cause of the memory leak shortly, but
no guarantees about how soon it might be fixed ;-).