Re: [INTERFACES] jdbc interface problems with jdk1.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Doug Thistlethwaite <doug(dot)t(at)deltanet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] jdbc interface problems with jdk1.2
Date: 1999-07-20 14:18:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Doug Thistlethwaite <doug(dot)t(at)deltanet(dot)com> writes:
> Password authentication failed for user 'doug'
>
> Does anybody have an idea of what I can try to get this working?

This tells you you are getting pretty far: you are making a TCP
connection, and the postmaster is recognizing that the entry for
your IP address in pg_hba demands password authentication.  So,
either you are supplying the wrong password from the client end,
or something's wrong with the password file.

There might be more info in the postmaster log file than is reported
to the client --- did you look there?

One potential typo stands out in your message:

> The password file was created using the command pg_passwd
> /var/postgresql/passwd
> host         doug        IP.ADDRESS.OF PC 255.255.255.0  password
> /var/postgres/passwd
       ^^^^^^^^

Prolly that's just a transcription error in your message, but if
it's real...

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Clark Joel A1C AMC CSSDate: 1999-07-20 14:20:31