Re: BUG #5347: initdb does not work when a data directory has been deleted

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Andersen <david(dot)andersen(at)andersen-innovation(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5347: initdb does not work when a data directory has been deleted
Date: 2010-02-26 16:55:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David Andersen <david(dot)andersen(at)andersen-innovation(dot)com> writes:
> Thank you for your answer. The error message states:
> "initdb: directory "../data" exists but is not empty"
> This is wrong. ../data does not exist

I really, really doubt that the code gets that test wrong.

Your message suggested that you might have typed ..\data when you meant
\data, or vice versa --- you might want to double check exactly which
directory you meant. Personally I dislike using relative paths for data
directories; it's much too easy to mess up.