Re: Unicode database + JDBC driver performance

From: Jan Ploski <jpljpl(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode database + JDBC driver performance
Date: 2002-12-27 23:08:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 09:52:28AM -0800, Barry Lind wrote:
> Jan,
>
> You say you are using 7.2.1, is that for both server and jdbc driver?
> There is a performance patch in the 7.3 driver that bypasses the built
> in java routines for converting to/from utf8 with a custom one. The
> built in java routines are very slow on some jdks (although on jdk1.4
> they are pretty good). Can you try the 7.3 drivers?
>
> thanks,
> --Barry

Hello,

I was using the 7.2.2 JDBC driver and 7.2.1 backend in the original
benchmark. The Java runtime version was Sun's 1.3.1. I repeated the same
tests today with the 7.3 JDBC driver. The results, together with the older
driver's figures for comparison, are pasted below. The SELECT performance
is definitely improved, but the INSERT performance got even worse.

You are right. The difference is not there when I am using Sun's 1.4.

Could it be that the improvement you mentioned does not apply there?

Take care -
JPL

SELECT benchmark

client (7.3.1 JDBC driver)