ODBC HowTo

From: JT MacNeil <macneiljt(at)sur-gard(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC HowTo
Date: 1999-11-16 19:08:34
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I have recently set up a Linux server (RedHat v6.1) to run
PostgreSQL v6.5.2. I have downloaded the psqlODBC drivers for Windows,
v6.40.0006, to my workstation.
I am having problems setting up the File DSN. Whenever I try, I
am told that a connection cannot be made. I am new to ODBC and fairly
new to networks, although I can ping, FTP, and Telnet the Linux server
from my workstation, so I believe that's up and running.
I think the problem is in the .odbc.ini file on the server. I am
not using the postgres superuser account, rather, I created another
account. I presume that that's the username and password I need to use
for the ODBC connection.
My question is, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Or, even
better, does anyone know of an ODBC HowTo file. I've gone through the
psqlODBC FAQ from www.insight.org, and a few variations of the
PostgreSQL HowTo, and they don't seem to be of much help.

Thanks,
J-T MacNeil (ext. 243)
Jr. Software QA Technician
Sur-Gard Security Communications