Re: Re: Call for platforms

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org
Cc: Alexander Klimov <ask(at)wisdom(dot)weizmann(dot)ac(dot)il>, thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Call for platforms
Date: 2001-03-26 18:30:44
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> As mentioned earlier, Ultrix on RISC means that it is a MIPS processor.

>> I suspect that some one of the implementations in s_lock.h was intended
>> to be usable on Ultrix, and we've somehow dropped the declarations
>> needed to make it go.  You might want to pull down an old tarball (6.3
>> or before) and look at how it compiles the s_lock support on Ultrix.

> Any hints for Alexander on how to do it *if* it is a MIPS processor?

Not sure.  The only info I see in s_lock.h is in the "SGI" section:

 * This stuff may be supplemented in the future with Masato Kataoka's MIPS-II
 * assembly from his NECEWS SVR4 port, but we probably ought to retain this
 * for the R3000 chips out there.

That name doesn't ring a bell with me --- anyone remember what code is
being referred to here, or where we might find Masato Kataoka?

MIPS-II code may or may not be compatible with Alexander's machine
anyway, but it's the only starting point I see.

Anyway, the last CVS update to port/ultrix.h that appears to have come
from someone actually using Ultrix was rev 1.2 on 7-May-97, which
predates the very existence of s_lock.h as a separate file.  So I'd
definitely advise Alexander to find a tarball from that era and look at
how Ultrix was handled then.

I dunno if we even have tarballs from that far back on-line ... I
suppose another possibility is a date-based pull from the CVS server.