Re: Bgwriter behavior

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bgwriter behavior
Date: 2004-12-22 04:43:21
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
> So what are we doing for 8.0?

Well, it looks like RC2 has already crashed and burned --- I can't
imagine that Marc will let us release without an RC3 given what was
committed today, never mind the btree bug that Mark Wong seems to have
found.  So maybe we should just bite the bullet and do something real
about this.

I'm willing to code up a proposed patch for the two-track idea I
suggested, and if anyone else has a favorite maybe they could write
something too.  But do we have the resources to test such patches and
make a decision in the next few days?

At the moment my inclination is to sit on what we have.  I've not seen
any indication that 8.0 is really worse than earlier releases; the most
you could argue against it is that it's not as much better as we hoped.
That's not grounds to muck around at the RC3 stage.