Re: psql \l to accept patterns

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql \l to accept patterns
Date: 2013-01-29 15:34:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp> writes:
>> On Mon, 2013-01-07 at 07:14 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> Here is a patch for psql's \l command to accept patterns, like \d

> BTW, is there any good place to put new regression test for the psql
> command? I couldn't find it out.

As far as a test for this specific feature goes, I'd be against adding
one, because it'd be likely to result in random failures in "make
installcheck" mode, depending on what other databases are in the
installation.

More generally, we've tended to put tests of \d-style psql features
together with the relevant backend-side tests.

The proposed patch to add \gset adds a separate regression test file
specifically for psql. I've been debating whether that was worth
committing; but if there's near-term interest in adding any more tests
for psql features that aren't closely connected to backend features,
maybe it's worth having such a file.