Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date: 2005-05-19 05:37:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Say, how are you doing on that front?

> Current status is- it now compiles with a few pieces still missing:
> [snip]

It's essential IMHO that we provide pg_shadow and pg_group as reasonably
backward-compatible views on the new pg_roles catalog. It's not at all
negotiable that CREATE USER and CREATE GROUP have to still work in a
sane fashion --- to say otherwise is to say that we aren't going to load
pg_dumpall scripts from older PG versions, and that is a Non Starter.

(Not too many releases ago, we couldn't even say that: once upon a time
pg_dumpall tried to emit "COPY TO pg_shadow" commands :-(. But I hope
that it's no longer necessary to handle that ...)