Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tomasz Olszak <tolszak(at)o2(dot)pl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client.
Date: 2009-03-17 02:09:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think any serious tools are now using pg_stat_activity. I saw we make
> the change in 8.4 and just document it. I wouldn't make the change for
> Oracle but rather for clarity.

I think this is a non-solution, because it fails to guarantee that the
process title contains nothing that will confuse Oracle. As somebody
already pointed out, it's possible to have parens in a user or database
name ... and for that matter, how sure are we that parens are the only
trouble case? You'll be potentially breaking scripts that work now,
in order to reduce but not eliminate the problem with Oracle.

IMHO the right fix is the one that was touched on upthread: have
DBI-Link temporarily install a plain-vanilla, punctuation-free process
title (eg, just "postgres") while starting an Oracle connection.