Re: index returns different output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: viktor(at)solon(dot)Colorado(dot)EDU
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index returns different output
Date: 2000-11-05 01:38:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Viktor Przebinda <viktor(at)solon(dot)Colorado(dot)EDU> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:

>> What LOCALE setting do you run the postmaster in?

> Output of the locale program is as follows:
> LANG=en_US
> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> LC_TIME="en_US"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> LC_ALL=

> I believe the data set that I sent you contains only ASCII characters.

Well, for what it's worth, I do NOT see a failure with your test example
on my machine (HPUX 10.20), using either 7.0.2 or current sources.
So I still think there is a local environment issue.

One thing to check: the fact that your own shell is running in US
locale does not necessarily mean that the postmaster was started the
same way ... and the postmaster's setting is what counts.

We've seen prior reports of RedHat 6.2-specific collation issues.
See for example the thread at
http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-bugs/2000-09/msg00060.html

I seem to recall something about another internationalization config
file that might cause problems on RH6.2, particularly if you upgraded
from an earlier release instead of doing a cold install of 6.2. But
I'm not finding it in the archives right now. Anyone remember
something like that?