Re: [HACKERS] Re: Problems compiling version 7 - solved

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Travis Bauer <trbauer(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: "Culberson, Philip" <philip(dot)culberson(at)dat(dot)com>, "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Problems compiling version 7 - solved
Date: 2000-05-11 05:36:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Travis Bauer <trbauer(at)indiana(dot)edu> writes:
> Thanks for all the advice. The following was _exactly_ the problem. I
> had tried to compile this source code in a recent version of solaris. It
> compiled flawlessly, but postmaster wouldn't start up. So I just did a
> secure shell to a linux machine, ran "make clean" from the same directory,
> and ran configure. I thought make clean would erase all except the
> distribution files.

Ah, bingo. "make clean" doesn't erase the configure-produced files,
and in particular not config.cache, so you were getting polluted by
configure test results from the other platform. "make distclean" is
the thing to do before reconfiguring. AFAIK this is a pretty
standard convention for applications that use configure scripts.

(Actually, it'd probably work to just delete config.cache, but you may
as well do the "make distclean" instead. I know that works.)

Next question: do you feel like pursuing the failure on solaris?
That should've worked...