Re: Broken pipes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "mike sears" <matrix(at)quadrent(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Broken pipes
Date: 2001-10-26 23:30:33
Lists: pgsql-general

"mike sears" <matrix(at)quadrent(dot)net> writes:
> pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection

This indicates that you have clients that are disconnecting
ungracefully, but it doesn't tell us much about why.

One recently-understood possibility is that if you are using psql
with password authentication, then psql doesn't prompt you for a
password until it's tried and failed to connect without. That
failure provokes one of these messages. (For 7.2, we've hacked the
postmaster to suppress the log message in that case.)

Otherwise you have misbehaving client-side software. I think that
the ODBC driver is known not to disconnect gracefully, but I don't
know of any other problems that would cause this, short of client
crashes.