Re: osx and thread safety?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: osx and thread safety?
Date: 2004-08-17 04:30:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I get these errors:

> ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output
> format with the -multi_module option
> fe-secure.o definition of common _thread_in_send (size
> 4)

Some googling turns up the fact that OS X does not like uninitialized
global variables in dynamic libraries.  There are a couple of
workarounds but the easiest one seems to be to initialize the variable.
I added "= 0" to the definition of thread_in_send and the problem
went away.

It's possible that this would create issues on platforms where
type pthread_key_t is neither integral nor a pointer type.  Does
anyone know of such?