Re: Trailing semicolons in psql patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, greg(at)turnstep(dot)com, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trailing semicolons in psql patch
Date: 2001-09-30 00:13:45
Lists: pgsql-patches
> The basic issue is that I think we can conclude that any trailing
> semicolon on a line with a backslash command can be dropped.

I agree with this premise ... but stated that way, the patch does
entirely the wrong thing, because it's stripping trailing semis at
the word level not the line level.  I think it's a lot more surprising
to drop the semi in

		\x foo; bar

than when it's actually at the end of the line.

How about stripping trailing semis (perhaps whitespace too?) before
the line is broken into words?